Whether you’re camping in the wilderness, or just enjoying a campfire in the back garden, nothing brings people together quite like the warm glow of a fire.
However, the best thing about a campfire is the ability to cook delicious meals, even when you’re adventuring out in the wilderness. But without the right tools, cooking over a campfire can be frustrating and difficult for you.
A campfire cooking kit is a collection of tools specifically designed for cooking over an open flame. With the right kit, you can cook everything from simple hot dogs to gourmet meals right over your campfire.
The world of outdoor cookware isn’t always easy to navigate, and there are so many options, styles and brands to choose from. That’s why we’ve written this blog to make things a little bit easier for you.
What Is Campfire Cooking?
Campfire cooking is a traditional method of preparing food that has been around for centuries and remains a popular activity for those living outdoors, campers and adventurers.
These are just a few of the standard methods and tools used in campfire cooking:
Grilling - This involves cooking food directly over open flames or hot coals. It can be carried outon a grate or a grill rack placed over the fire. Grilling is suitable for foods like burgers, steaks, vegetables, and fish.
Skewering - Skewers, also known as kebabs, are used to thread pieces of meat, vegetables, or fruits onto long metal or wooden sticks. The skewers are then placed over the fire to cook the food.
Foil Packet Cooking - This involves wrapping food in aluminium foil and placing it in the coals or on the grill. It's a convenient way to cook vegetables, seafood, and individual portions of meals. The foil helps retain moisture and flavour.
Griddles & Pans - These are specifically designed cookware that can be placed directly on the fire or supported on a grate. They are used for cooking breakfast items like eggs, bacon, and other foods that require a flat cooking surface.
Campfire cooking allows you to enjoy the flavours that come from cooking over an open fire - it can be fun and rewarding at the same time.
Heinnie Haynes is the place to get all your outdoor, portable and camping cookware essentials. Whether you are after a stove, travel kettle, lightweight cutlery, cooking pot or simply a new camp mug you’ve most definitely come to the right place.
Perfect for Trekking, Hill Walking, Backpacking, Scouts, Kayaking, Picnics or Emergency Preparedness & Bug-Out Bags. Boil Water & Cook Fast Outdoors.
- Kelly Kettle Trekker Kettle (0.6 litre) and fire-base.
- Cook set - which includes 0.45ltr Pot
- Frying Pan (pot lid)
- 2 Piece Grill - place on the fire-base to grill over the coals or, simply create a secure base for the Pot to sit on.
- Gripper Handle.
- Small Hobo Stove - turns the fire-base into a wood-fueled stove for easy cooking.
- Pot/Fire-Base Support - used to either cook items over the chimney as the kettle boils or use under the fire-base to prevent ground scorch to lawns, decking or picnic tables.
- 1 x 350ml Camping Cup with silicone Coolip piece and folding handles.
- Drawstring Storage Bag.
BCB Crusader Cooking Systems MK1
The BCB Crusader Cooking Set is potentially one of the best cooking sets on the market for the money! This version of the Mark 1 Crusader Cooking set is available in an all-black version PTFE-coated version.
This Aluminium Cooking Cup doubles as a cooking pot and features a special heat receptor on its base.
Vargo Hexagon Wood Stove
Got wood? If so, you'll never need to carry stove fuel again with the Vargo Hexagon Wood Stove. Uses easy-to-find, renewable fuel wherever your travels may take you. Basic fire skills are needed. Available in stainless steel and ultralight titanium.
UCO Mini Flatpack Grill & Fire Pit
The Uco Mini Flatpack portable grill & firepit serves 2-3 people and packs compact for easy transportation to the beach, campsite or barbeque. It is Stainless steel construction for durability and easy maintenance. It has a quick 30-second set-up and you are ready to go.
All you need to do to set up this grill is unfold it and place the grates on top, simple as that. The base provides a very stable surface plus the sides of the grill serve as a wind break for cooking in windy conditions.
Petromax Potato Cooker
There’s a lot to be said for the power of the potato. Nutritious, filling, and delicious and easily cooked, but you definitely need to take something that will cook them to perfection. This cast iron cooker not only cooks your potatoes perfectly, but also infuses the food with the smoke from the warm embers. This essential piece of kit also does wonders for chicken, beef and other vegetables.
Tips For Using Campfire Cooking Kits
Using campfire cooking kits can enhance your outdoor cooking experience and make it more convenient. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your campfire cooking kit:
- Familiarise yourself with the kit: Before your camping trip, take some time to understand the components of your campfire cooking kit. Read the instructions and familiarise yourself with how each piece works. This will make it easier to use them effectively when you're on your adventures.
- Pack essential tools: Ensure that you have all the necessary tools in your kit. Common tools include cooking utensils like spatulas, tongs, and forks, as well as skewers, and campfire-safe pots and pans. Make sure your kit includes items that suit your preferred cooking methods too.
- Prepare ingredients in advance: Prepping your ingredients ahead of time can save you time and effort at the campsite. Chop vegetables, marinate meats, and measure out spices and seasonings at home. Store them in containers or sealable bags for easy transport and use.
- Choose the right firewood: Different types of firewood burn at different temperatures and create varying amounts of heat and smoke. Choose hardwoods like oak or beech for longer-lasting and hotter fires. Avoid using softwoods like pine, as they tend to produce more smoke.
- Practise proper food safety: Just like in any kitchen, it's important to follow food safety practices when cooking outdoors. Ensure that your cooking utensils and surfaces are clean and sanitised. Keep perishable ingredients refrigerated until you're ready to cook them, and cook meats to their recommended internal temperatures.
Whether you're a seasoned camper or a novice outdoors, a campfire cooking kit is an invaluable asset that elevates your camping trips, hikes, or backyard adventures. So, embrace the charm of open-fire cooking, explore new flavours, and create lasting memories as you gather around the campfire, savouring the delicious meals prepared with the help of your trusty campfire cooking kit. Happy cooking!